Saturday, October 1, 2011

TV (NET) work?

On my return after a sojourn (only fourteen years!) abroad, I started looking for some engagement, besides my teaching profession, that will satisfy my taste in creativity and fulfill a mental urge yet to be satiated. It was then that a close friend of mine suggested the starting up of a new TV channel which will provide me with maximum exposure in addition. I regarded it an idea and a half.

That made me do some research and I'll tell you what I found. It may help the Mar Thoma Church in freeing itself from the agony of being ignorant about the pros and cons of the Channel Affair, especially so when I hear a lot of talk about its desire to start a new channel though it was earlier given out to be just a channel programme.

I started out by looking at the current scenario in Kerala with regard to the televised medium.

My inquiry revealed to me that there are 18 channels on the air in Kerala at the present time, broadcasting all sorts of programmes in Malayalam. Of those, 10 belong to the GEC (General Entertainment Channel) category, 5 in the NC (News Channel) category and 3 in the RC (Religious Channel) category.

Asianet, Surya TV, Asianet Plus, Kiran TV, Kairali TV, WE Channel (Kairali), JaiHind TV, Jeevan TV, YES TV (India Vision), and Amrita TV come under the head GEC.

AsiaNet News, India Vision, Manorama News TV, People TV (Kairali), and Reporter TV come under NC.

Shalom TV, Powervision TV and AYTV (owned by Bishop K.P. Yohannan) come under RC.

The two channels that are making commendable strides are AsiaNet and Surya. AsiaNet bags 400 crores and Surya takes 300 crores out of the total 780 crore Television Advertising Market in Kerala. The balance amount of 80 crores is snatched among the remaining 16 channels which struggle for their daily existence.

To make things worse, 7 more new channels are in the pipeline. They are Kerala Kaumudi, Mathrubhumi, Madhyamam, Manorama GEC, Janapriya (owned by K. Muraleedharan), an RSS- owned channel etc. That will increase the count to 25. Aren't they too many?

Having said that, let us now look how cost effective the channel spectrum is. Cost-defective may be a more apt word!

To start a channel, an investment of 25 to 50 crores is needed for software alone, ie. programme production, serials, films etc. Experts say that more than 100 crores will have to be expended before the 5th year is out. If a reasonable income is to come in after an year or so, the channel should have an excellent TPR (Television Program Rating). For that to happen, a channel will have to broadcast Cinemas (certainly not 'Snapaka Yohannan') and other Reality Shows. Can and will the Mar Thoma Church do that? ( there are people who ask what they will not do, I hear). Know that the current average satellite cost of a Malayalam cinema is anywhere from 75 lakhs to 2.5 crores.

Without this- viz. the airing of cinemas and reality shows- happening, the proposed Mar Thoma Channel will remain at the rock-bottom of the TPR, calculated through Television Audience Measuring. Be informed that the Jeevan TV of the Syrian Catholic Church, Amrutha of the Amrutananda Madom and Jai Hind of the Congress- all are struggling for existence. They are still alive only because they have the strong base of a funding group. You may remember how the Middle-east TV, started by Gulf Malayalees found its demise within a very short time.

At this juncture, the question as to why the Orthodox and Jacobte churches- who are by far richer than the Mar Thoma Church- never jumped into the turmoil of starting a tv channel makes sense.

A friend humourously said that we would need 10 channels now and 3 more within the next 3 months to defend our bishops against various charges. Even if we admit that for the sake of argument, tell me how many Marthomites are there among the total 50 lakhs of Cable TV/ Dish TV subscribers at present (a negligible number, right?) and how many of them will switch to a channel getting started by the Mar Thoma Church? (undoubtedly electro-microscopic, right?)

Notwithstanding, it may be noted that the modern generation- irrespective of caste, colour or creed- turns to Face Book, Orkut, My Space, Linked In, Twitter and such other social sites for giving expression to their ideas, likes and dislikes...

Thanking you,

Love,

Adv. Alex Abraham Odikandathil

5 comments:

  1. Images are not displayed.
    Display images below - Always display images from bpk505@yahoo.com

    Quite informative Sir. Much appreciated that you have openly revealed the findings of your hard work.This is really a point of thought for them in case they wish to go ahead. Who knows the financiers??
    Marthomite (Babu P.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. from Mar Thoma almaayan@yahoo.com
    reply-to marthomachurch@yahoogroups.com
    to "marthomachurch@yahoogroups.com"
    date Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 11:56 AM
    subject Re: [marthomachurch_YahooGroups] TV (NET)work?
    mailing list Filter messages from this mailing list
    mailed-by returns.groups.yahoo.com
    signed-by yahoogroups.com
    unsubscribe Unsubscribe from this mailing-list
    Important mainly because you often read messages with this label.
    hide details 11:56 AM (2 hours ago)
    Images are not displayed.
    Display images below - Always display images from almaayan@yahoo.com

    Alex Sir

    Very good study. Keep it up.

    Ippol manasil aayi Sabha Leadership Sir-nte Nomination
    Enthu kondu reject cheithu ennu.

    Vivaram ullavare avarkku venda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prof. Dr. Alex Abraham Odikandathil to almaayan, bcc: marthomachurch- My reply
    show details 9:57 AM (0 minutes ago)
    Dear Sir,
    Thank you for your observation.
    Let me say this much: I presume that I was not in the good books of Rt. Rev. Zacharias Mar Theophilus Suffragan Metropolitan, the Returning Officer who rejected my nomination which would have accelerated his decision. And the reason? Please see my mail dated 17/09/10 that I am copying here-under which I sent him after hearing a speech he delivered as the Manager of Christian College, Chengannur in the beginning of the 2110 academic year. At the same time I believe in a conspiracy hatched out by the Sabha Leadership to 'exclude' me as they were most certain that I will stand up for what is just and right which will be detrimental to their interests. The said exclusion was possible only by rejecting my nomination so that I don't contest, for they knew I would win.

    Thanking you,
    Love,
    Adv. Alex Abraham Odikandathil

    Dear Thirumeni,
    To introduce myself, I am Alex Abraham, teaching in the Dept. of English in Christian College.
    The purpose of this mail is to point out a slight mistake in your speech in the college this morning.
    That is, your Lordship attributed the authorship of the Serenity Prayer to St. Francis of Assisi which is incorrect.
    Serenity Prayer was written in 1943 by Reinhold Niebuhr (1892- 1971), the American Theologian and commentator
    on public affairs. It may be noted that he was the archetypal American intellectual during the 'Cold War' era as well.
    It so happened that I taught my students the same prayer in the first hour as they just started their MA 3rd Semester.
    Perceivably, after hearing your speech, they came back to me for corroboration and I had to stand by my earlier version.
    Hope your Lordship understands the situation.
    Thanking you,
    I have the honour to be,
    alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 9:36 PM, mynageorge wrote:

    'AsiaNet bags 400 crores and Surya takes 300 crores out of the total 780 crore Television Advertising Market in Kerala'.

    'That made me do some research and I'll tell you what I found'
    അലക്സ്‌ സാറിനും മൂന്നാറില്‍ വീടുന്ടെന്നു കേള്‍ക്കുന്നു
    സൂര്യയുടെ കണക്കു കണ്ടപ്പോള്‍ അവിടെയിരുന്നുകൊണ്ട്
    സൂര്യ റോയ് യുടെ സഹായത്തോടു കൂടിയാണോ
    റിസര്‍ച്ച് നടത്തിയതെന്ന് ഒരു സംശയം ! ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍
    mynage..

    Prof. Dr. Alex Abraham Odikandathil responds:

    Ignoring trash is my very nature; still may I ask you:
    Why is it your problem- where I gather information from?
    How is it your problem- where I have houses at??
    After all, what is your problem???
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. from Mar Thoma almaayan@yahoo.com
    Important mainly because of the words in the message.

    Mathew Sir
    Uthama Deivabhakthiyum Sabha Snehavum ulla Almaayar munnottu vannaale ee Sabha inyum Rakshapedukayullu.

    Athinaal ee Self Confidence ottum adhikam alla.

    Prof.Abraham Karikkam 2-am Uzham shremichirunnuvenkil theerchayaayum Sabha Secretary aakumaayirunnu.
    Pakshe Karikkam Sir Swontham School-il Sreddha Muzhukiyirikkunnathinaal iniyum Contest cheyyumennu pretheekshikkunnilla.

    Iniyum Pretheeksha Prof.Odikandathil aannu.Athu Down Aakkanda

    ReplyDelete